In this episode, Emily and Kate are joined by special guest, Scott Richardson-Read, founder and writer of the Cailleach’s Herbarium, (@cailleachsherbarium) to discuss Scottish folklore and folk magic! Then Scott pulls a card from his Pagan Otherworlds tarot deck.
Scott is the co-creator and researcher behind the Tales of the Taibhsear project, part of the Taibhsear collective that brought to life Edinburghs ongoing annual folk culture, tradition and magic celebration and lecture series – Dreaming Bread and Skyrie Stanes and also network coordinator for The Woven Land Network.
If you’re interested in learning more about Scottish folk history and folklore, here are some reading suggestions, courtesy of Scott!
- Rowan tree and red thread By Thomas Davidson – free copy here
- Carmina Gadelica by Alexander Carmicheal – vol I and II here
- The four volumes of the Silver Bough by F. Marian McNeill ( sadly no online copies)
- Trolldom By Johannes Björn Gårdbäck (why Trolldom? There is a lot of cross over with Scandinavian folk magic in Scotland and its just a really great book )
- Tradition of Household Spirits : Ancestral Lore and Practices by Claude Lecoutex
- Scott also wrote an article expanding on our conversation – Scottish Appropriation Revisited you can find it here
- Also there is the Tairis website but its a little worse for wear as no updates since 2018 but still worth a gander!
Follow us on instagram @witchcastpodcast and leave us a rating and review if ya like us.
Listen on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher or wherever you get your podcast fix!
Please note, (as always) all content shared via Witchcast Podcast is for entertainment purposes only kloveyoubye!